RSS Feed

Names released in Friday night wreck on I-30

By Kevin McKinnon, 11/17/12 12:47 AM

Photo by Jesse Evans (more photos below)

The name of the woman who was killed and those that were injured in the Friday accident on I-30 in Hempstead County have been released.

The Arkansas State Police report that Kathryn Nevil, 38, of Franklin, Tennessee, died when the 2002 Chevy SUV she was a passenger in was struck by another vehicle before veering off the right side of the highway at the 33-mile-marker around 9 p.m. and crashing into a tree that it partially uprooted. Nevil’s children, Louran Nevil, 12, and Will Nevil, 9, were riding in the back seat of the SUV and were injured. Her husband, Steven Nevil, 41, the driver of the SUV, was not injured.

The 2008 Toyota Tacoma pick-up, that witnesses say was driving¬†erratically¬†in and out of traffic before going out of control and crashing into the Nevils’ SUV, was driven by John Coe, 35, of 311 Miller 20, Texarkana, AR. Coe was also injured in the accident. His vehicle went off the left side of the roadway and crashed into some trees. Two young girls riding with him were not reported to be injured.

Firemen from the Hope Fire Department and Crossroads Volunteer Fire Department used extrication equipment to free victims trapped in the crumpled SUV.

Mrs. Nevil was pronounced dead at the scene by Hempstead County Coroner Ben Brazzel.

Helicopters from LifeNet and Air Evac landed on I-30 at the accident location while traffic was held up for several minutes in the westbound land.

The injured were taken to Wadley Regional Medical Center in Hope, Christus St. Michael Health System in Texarkana and LSU Medical Center in Shreveport.

Pafford EMS had three ambulances at the accident and Nevada County Ambulance Service had one.

Perrytown first responders also were called to the accident scene, along with deputies from the Hempstead County Sheriff’s Department.

The Nevil’s, who were reportedly traveling to Texas for Thanksgiving, were all wearing their seatbelts. John Coe was not.

The accident was investigated by Trooper Kyle D. Peek.