Follow HopePrescott.com

RSS Feed

Fire claims man’s life

By John Miller, 09/19/17 10:09 AM

FIRE DEPARTMENT1

PRESCOTT – A house fire recently claimed the life of a 63-year-old Prescott man.

According to Prescott Police Chief Joey Beavers, the call came in at 3:52 a.m. on Sept. 6 concerning a house fire on West Second North. The body of Michael Morton was found in the living room area of the structure.

Beavers said the fire started in the kitchen, most likely from a short in the electric stove. The incident is being investigated as an accidental death pending the results from the medical examiner’s office. The preliminary cause of death was reported as smoke inhalation, Beavers said, and foul plays is not suspected.

Two crews with the Prescott Fire Department responded to the blaze, which destroyed the house. The Arkansas State Police arson investigator was also called in. Beavers stressed at this time everything is being ruled accidental.

 

  • Sam Smith

    Can you say really behind on this story. Maybe spend less time posting that it’s national cheeseburger day and more time gathering the news.

  • John Miller

    Sam, you’re welcome to help out anytime, but you’ll need to use your real name when submitting story ideas.

  • Liz Hill

    God bless this man’s family! What a terrible way to leave this earth.

  • Phyllis A Haynes

    I believe that Mike was older than 53. Sad that his life was ended this way. He had lots of struggles in life – most self inflicted – but he was still a really a nice guy with a great sense of humor. Sadly, not much family.