RSS Feed

Online hookup leads to two arrests

By submitted, 09/28/17 2:29 PM

Chad Bunnell Age 40 Hope Bailey Gibbs Age 19 of Texarkana, Texas


HOPE – On September 26, at approximately 3:20 a.m., Deputy Loe was dispatched to the 300 block of Hempstead 36 in reference to reports of a female shooting at a male.

Upon arrival, Deputy Aaron and Loe stopped at the Spring Hill Store due to a vehicle being parked on the property that was more than likely related to the incident. Upon investigating the vehicle, an individual was discovered sleeping in the back. I then made contact with the person who stated he had given his friend Bailey Gibbs a ride from Texarkana to that location in order for her to meet with a friend.

The person stated he had been waiting for her to return for approximately three hours, and did not know where she went. The person stated Gibbs had gotten into a white truck with an unknown individual and headed down Hempstead 36 and that was the last time he had seen or heard from her.

Deputies continued down Hempstead 36 in order to make contact with the caller, Chad Bunnell. Deputies located Bunnell in the 300 block of Hempstead 36 holding a flashlight. He stated he was supposed to hang out with Gibbs at his house, and that after she got there, she stole $600 from him and was trying to get away.

Bunnell stated she was running down Hempstead 36 while he was following her, and she began to shoot at him. Bunnell stated Gibbs fired between five and six shots at him, some of the rounds striking the pavement causing shrapnel to hit his hand and arm. He stated at that time, he lost sight of her after she went up to a residence knocking on the door. Bunnell stated Gibbs was still in there at that time.

Deputies proceeded to a residence on Hempstead 36. Upon arrival, Deputy Loe was met at the door by Gibbs, Deputy Loe asked her if she had any weapons on her and she advised she did not and the gun was in the kitchen on the table. Deputy Loe then followed Gibbs inside the house where he then took possession of a Silver/Red SCCY CPX-1 9mm semi-automatic handgun two additional live rounds that were inside her bag, and six $100 bills that were inside Gibbs’ sock.

Deputy Loe asked her what was happening and she advised she had met Bunnell online and she was supposed to meet him tonight at the Spring Hill Store in order for her to go home with him and have sexual intercourse with him for money. Gibbs stated when entered Bunnell’s truck, he handed her $600 as payment for the sex. Gibbs stated they went to his house and had sexual intercourse.

Bailey stated at that time, she wanted to go back to her friend and go home, but Bunnell insisted that he had paid for her to stay the whole evening. Gibbs stated Bunnell let her in his vehicle, but he wouldn’t take her back to her friend’s vehicle. Gibbs stated multiple times he would act like he was headed back, only to quickly turn around. She stated one of the times he was turning around, she jumped out of the vehicle and started running.

Gibbs stated she initially hid behind a car trying to wait for him to pass, but then she realized she was at the house right next door to his. She then stated she tried to sneak past him, but he saw her and began to chase her. Gibbs said she yelled at him to leave her alone and that she didn’t know him like that, but that he kept chasing her. Gibbs stated she then produced her firearm and began to fire it at Bunnell. Gibbs stated she made it to the residence she was currently in and began knocking on the door trying to get someone to answer.

Deputy Loe made contact with the homeowner who stated she was asleep when she heard very loud banging on her door. She stated she saw it was a young female who appeared to be alone, so she opened the door. The homeowner stated while Gibbs was sitting at the kitchen table, she took some sort of pill.


Deputy Loe placed Gibbs under arrest for prostitution and aggravated assault, Deputy Aaron  placed Bunnell under arrest for sexual solicitation and false imprisonment first degree. Both were taken to HCDF to await a first court appearance.