A Hope Walmart employee got an explosive surprise Sunday afternoon as she got into her car to drive home from work.
Suzanne Rosembaum heard a loud pop as she turned the key in the ignition of her Chevy Lumina in Row 11 of the store’s parking lot around 3:20 p.m.. Next thing she knew, her car was on fire.
The Hope Fire Department and Police Department responded to the scene but the fire in the car’s engine compartment was already out. Firemen sprayed the car to ensure it didn’t flame back up.
Firemen believe Roesembaum’s fuel injection system malfunctioned as it continued to spray gasoline even after the key was removed. The flow of fuel was finally stopped when a fuse was removed.
Gasoline flowed across a section of the parking lot but no one was injured in the incident.